Whom We’re Looking For
The Matthew Shepard Foundation, national civil rights organization based in Denver, is looking for a dynamic fundraising professional with experience in managing a CRM as our next Development Associate. You’ll be putting your strong passion for civil rights and social change to work for an organization that seeks to “Replace Hate with Understanding, Compassion and Acceptance.” Working from and fine-tuning our fundraising database and supporting our annual development objectives, you will assist our Communications Manager in creating and scheduling timely and compelling content across our many platforms including social media, websites, newsletters, emails and video. You will utilize all of our technical tools to assist the Development team in capturing accurate and timely data for national donor database of supporters. You’ll be helping an interested and loyal base of supporters keep abreast of our progress, and inspiring newcomers to rally behind our efforts. You’ll be continuously monitoring how well we are getting the word out by gathering and reporting on data relative to our donor support. Additionally, you will be supporting our growing number of local and national fundraising events. We believe in the power of individual stories like Matt Shepard’s to change the world.
What It’s All About
- Maintaining the foundation’s fundraising database, Giveffect, including troubleshooting with donors and liaising with the vendor. Acting as the main point person for this application.
- Collaborating with our communications team to craft a ‘big picture’ communications campaign that advances the Foundation’s mission.
- Establishing and maintaining donor giving records, profiles and relationships in the CRM database.
- Overseeing third party donation drives throughout the year.
- Administering and following up with third party donation gateways.
- Managing peer-to-peer fundraising efforts.
- Assisting Development Director and other team members in solicitation and coordination of auction items for annual events.
- Assisting development team in compiling materials for slides, program and signage for annual events, plus provides production coordination and additional technical event support.
- Managing online ticket platforms for fundraising events
- Assisting development team with all on-going acknowledgements of donors.
- Assisting development and communications team with the creation and preparation of mailers including regular newsletters, appeal letters and annual report.
- Acting as a customer service representative for the Foundation.
- Assisting the Executive Director and the Controller with donation data for accounting and bookkeeping purposes.
- Helping communications team manage the website, social media, email campaigns and other communications mediums.
- Assisting programs team in developing supportive documents that portray our mission related stories through well-visualized statistics.
What We Need From You
- A bachelor’s degree and minimum three (3) years’ experience in a professional development department with comparable fundraising database management work (Giveffect, ETapestry, Salsa or similar systems).
- Moderate understanding of Customer Relationship Management Systems and experience creating data queries
- Acquiring Data from primary and secondary resources for importing into a database
- Experience downloading and manipulating data tables in Excel. Experience using Pivot Tables, Filters, and Vlookup strongly preferred.
- Ability to work in our Denver office
- An open and collaborative work style that fosters both structured and spontaneous team member collaboration
- Passion for civil and human rights and LGBTQ+ community issues specifically
- A way with words and an ear for how our diverse audiences interpret our message
- Comfort with the sometimes unpredictable nature of small organizations doing social-change work
- Ability to lift 30 lbs.
- Experience with WordPress, Google Docs and Google Adwords preferred
- An understanding, compassionate and accepting outlook on life
What You Can Expect From Us
- Market-based competitive salary and better-than-average benefits
- Professional development and leadership opportunities
- A dedicated and experienced team backing you up through excellent program work, creative fundraising and inspiring board leadership
- A place your work will truly make a difference
More About Us
The Matthew Shepard Foundation is an LGBT- and Ally-focused 501(c)(3) charitable organization which empowers the individual to embrace human dignity and diversity through outreach, advocacy, and resources.
The Matthew Shepard Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for employment based on qualifications and experience without regard to sex, national origin, racial or ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or gender expression, or any other category protected by applicable local, state or federal law.