The Matthew Shepard Foundation would like to thank everyone who voted in the American Giving Awards, presented by Chase, on Facebook and Chase.com. The program announced that MSF won the “Youth Developers” category and will compete in Round 2 of the contest December 1-8 as one of only five remaining charities nationwide. MSF and the four other groups will compete for grants ranging from $125,000 to $1 million toward exciting new educational programming!
Our proposal is to create cutting-edge interactive online learning exercises that allow young people to navigate simulated everyday instances of bullying and harassment and see how different responses might play out, so they can feel more confident dealing with unexpected and difficult situations they may encounter.
To stay updated on how you can help the Foundation win the largest possible grant for “Replacing Hate with Understanding, Compassion and Acceptance,” register today for our e-mail list!
Here is what you can do to help us win the million:
1. Voting began at 12:01 a.m. (Eastern Time) on Thursday, December 1, 2011.
2. To vote, you must be a registered Facebook user, you need to “Like” the Chase Community Giving application, and “Allow Access” to use the voting platform.
3. Each user will be able to vote 8 times until voting closes at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time) on Thursday, December 8, 2011. However, you may only cast one vote each day, so to fully support the Matthew Shepard Foundation, please stop by daily to give your voice the most impact!
4. If you are Chase customer and have an online account for your checking, savings or credit card accounts, you may also vote one more time at Chase.com during the same voting period.
5. The results will be announced in the first ever NBC broadcast, hosted by 22-time Emmy Award winner Bob Costa, in a two-hour primetime special on Saturday December 10, from 8 to 10 p.m. ET from the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in Los Angeles.
Ways you will be able to help us win:
Word of mouth between friends of the Foundation will be absolutely critical for us as we seek as many votes as possible to get the largest grant we can earn for our educational work. Here are a few ideas to help you help us!
— Make sure you vote once a day until all 5 votes are cast! Starting the process on the first day ensures you won’t run out of days in which to cast all five of your votes.
—Change your Facebook or Twitter profile picture to promote the contest while voting is going on, and link to the program’s voting page!
Thank you to the tens of thousands who have voted for the Foundation in its two past rounds of this program. Together, we can secure the resources to “Erase Hate!”
Current Foundation supporters through the competition include Chelsea Handler, Judith Light, Reichen Lehmkuhl, Ben Cohen & the StandUp Foundation, Leslie Jordan, Bishop Gene Robinson, Rib Hillis & Randi Driscoll. Organizations that have agreed to help promote voting include One Colorado, PFLAG, GLSEN, AFER, Campus Pride, True Colors, Give a Damn, The Mother Court of Canada, The Imperial Sovereign Gem Court of Idaho, The Imperial Court of Halifax, The Imperial Sovereign Court of All Connecticut, HRC, Windy City Times, and OutFront Colorado.
Those interested in promoting the Foundation in the contest, please contact the Matthew Shepard Foundation directly.
Graphics for Twitter and Facebook: